Tretinoin can cause temporary dry skin and flaking. If you can tolerate the flaking period, tretinoin can be amazing for skin! Some users wonder How to Use Tretinoin Without Irritation. To avoid the side effects, use these 10 tips for correct Tretinoin use.
Many dermatologists that prescribe Tretinoin say to use it daily. I find it better to start 2-3 times a week for about a month and then increase to 5 times a week or even daily use. This way, less irritation occurs and your skin can get used to daily retinol.
Why Use Tretinoin
Tretinoin is more powerful than the strongest retinol. It is Retinoic acid (vitamin A), so apply sparingly. Less is more.
This prescription-strength retinol product gets results in less than six months. It effectively improves several skin conditions including:
- Fine lines
- skin texture
- enlarged pores
- higher levels promote collagen to enhance skin firming
How to Use Tretinoin: 10 Tips
- Wash your face at night with a gentle facial cleanser. I like CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser Moisturizing Non-Foaming Face Wash because it is gentle and has Hyaluronic Acid, Ceramides and Glycerin. Another good one is Cetaphil Facial Cleanser.
- Wait a full 30 minutes after washing before applying Tretinoin. This reduces the risk of skin irritation.
- Dispense a pea-sized amount of Tretinoin by squeezing from the bottom of the tube. Re-cap the tube promptly to avoid excess air exposure.
- Apply to the face. I find it helpful to evenly dot it on my face then gently rub/pat the cream into the skin.
- A pea-sized amount is enough to cover the entire face. If treating the neck, use a second pea sized amount.
- Buffer with a moisturizer after applying Tretinoin. Use a moisturizer without actives but with hyaluronic acid after applying Tretinoin.
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher while using Tretinoin.
- Remember to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours while in direct sunlight.
- Stop Tretinoin 1 month before any cosmetic treatment.
- While using Tretinoin, don’t use strong Hydroxy Acids.
3 Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Avoid applying to the skin in or around the eyes or lips, or inside the nose. Go no higher on the under-eye area than the orbital bone. Tap along the ridge of the bone to apply.
- Avoid applying too much cream. Less is more. It is easy to over-apply because Renova and Tretinoin seem like creamy emollients. They are not! Prescription retinol like Renova and Tretinoin is a form of powerful retinoic acids.
- Avoid applying it after washing the face.
Summary of How to Use Tretinoin Without Irritation
Tretinoin is a very effective prescription topical medication. When used properly it provides excellent acne and anti-aging benefits. Tretinoin is more powerful than retinol, so apply sparingly.