Watercress, also known as Nasturtium Officinale, is a small plant with big benefits. Watercress is a nutritionally healthy vegetable. Watercress extract also provides skincare benefits by increasing Collagen III, better known as “Baby Collagen” for younger, healthier skin. This article tells the benefits of Watercress.
Watercress is an anti-oxidant that contains vitamins and nutrients such as:
- Vitamin A supports the growth and division of your cells, white blood cell production to fight illness, and bone remodeling.
- Vitamin C supports immunity and collagen production, repairs and regenerates tissues, aids in iron absorption, and decreases bad cholesterol. It also combats free radicals.
- Vitamin E supports Vitamin A regulation and is a superior antioxidant.
- Vitamin K supports cell renewal and growth. Topically, it can reduce the appearance of dark undereye circles.
- Copper supports immune function and helps to form healthy collagen in the connective tissue and skin.
- Beta carotene is an antioxidant that supports skin, lung, and eye health.
Watercress extract in topical skincare formulations is a hidden anti-aging secret to rebuild collagen and elastin.
Elastin gives skin youthful resilience. A decrease in type III collagen triggers a decrease in skin elasticity. According to this study, topical watercress extract application promotes the growth of type III collagen also known as “baby collagen”. Baby collagen is what creates younger, smoother skin.
How to Get Watercress Benefits
Watercress can be consumed for nutritional health benefits or applied topically as a watercress extract for skincare benefits.
Watercress adds a peppery kick to food such as salads, soups, and sandwiches. Watercress is also available as a powder supplement. This is beneficial as it is difficult to consume enough watercress daily to see meaningful benefits. It is generally available at organic grocers and health food stores.
If you have a green thumb and a sunny windowsill, watercress can be grown from seed year-round for a fresh burst of healthy flavor anytime.
Watercress can be found in some skincare products, primarily eye and face creams and serums. It may appear on the ingredient list as Watercress or Nasturtium Officinale. Organic formulations are ideal, especially around the delicate eye area skin.
Summary of The Benefits of Watercress
Watercress has health and beauty benefits. It can be grown from seed, purchased at a farmer’s market, organic grocery, or specialty markets. Nasturtium Officinale is also available in supplement and powdered extract forms that can be added to smoothies or teas. Watercress extract topically applied to the skin increases collagen and elastin production for firmer, softer skin. It also can reduce the appearance of dark undereye circles.
Was this article The Benefits of Watercress helpful? Then you may also like to read the article “How to Retain Youthful-Looking Skin in Your 40s“.
- A.A, Abdulghani & A, Sherr & S, Shirin & G, Solodkina & Morales Tapia, E & B, Wolf & A.B, Gottlieb. (1998). Effects of topical creams containing vitamin C, a copper-binding peptide cream, and melatonin compared with tretinoin on the ultrastructure of normal skin “ A pilot clinical, histologic, and ultrastructural study. Disease Management and Clinical Outcomes”.
- Shiseido Succeeds in Visualization of Internal Skin Elasticity – Decrease of Type III Collagen Involved in Age-Dependent Degradation in Skin Elasticity. Shiseido, Shiseido, Apr. 2018